March 14, 2009

Pre-fashion Wee

(Alright, so the photo on the left doesn't quite depict my days work, but I wanted something that said fashion, and intern, this is what I googled, this is what I got. Shuddddup.)


All I can say at this point. That can meet a lot of things, what kind of things? Let me explain what my day consisted of, and I'll let you decide.


I wake up bright and early; I made sure I had my eggo waffles and I'm good to go. I find out two nights before that I was on the Decor team, so not quit what I wanted, which was more styling and being back stage with the designers to dress the models, BUT decor has great responsibilities as well which co
nsisted of being in the fashion environment and run way, but it is not as glamorous as it sounds, trust me. It's the grunt work, of course, this ain't paid work. (ha, sucks) Alright, so day one, I arrive at Nathan Phillips Square right in the heart of downtown Toronto. Lovely morning, the sunlight was creeping from behind the giant buildings and it was a bit chilly. I was a bit cold from wearing my leather jacket and black tapered jeans, as long as I looked wicked. (ha, seriously) So, I walk in the giant fashion tent after figuring out the volunteer tents weren't up yet. Ok, ready go, give me some work to do! SInce this is PRE-fashion week there was only construction going on. So, first task; "paint Barbie's booth." Wow, a team of four, never painted before and got paint all over ourselves, of course being unprepared, got paint all over my shoes and jeans. Boo, I was hoping my jeans would look destructed-cool, but not so much.

Honestly, through out the day was a lot of sitting and chatting but when it came down to doing work, man oh man, did they work us. As I said we were assigned to paint a booth, 3 walls, 15x15 ft. The first coating wasn't so bad, second coating was we needed a 3rd coating because the purple paint that was originally painted on was still peeking through our white paint. BAH, kill me. So, we were given money to fetch another can on paint. Shitty deals for us, the can of paint that the two other girls bought was the wrong brand, color and finish. So, we were told to return it and go on break. (I think the co-orinator hated us at that point) Before we went on our break we had to fetch some coffee for the "important" people. Whateves, sure. Then we had break.

We got back and sat for a good 2 hours doing nothing because we were waiting on a truck. Once the truck arrived we had to unload massive pieces of pexi glass, 70 pound chandeliers, and other fixtures. (my legs still burn from it) After given the task of re-attaching all the pieces that fell off the chandeliers, we had one more run to iphone charger. So, another girl and I, ran to Eaton's center to the Mac store to buy a charger. Good to go. Day one over.


I`ll just list it cause im tired now.
-arrived on time, dressing a bit down now cause i thought i would be painting again, not the case.
-had to throw garbage out and just simply maintain the tent and clean
-unload bolts of fabric from a truck and bring into fashion tent
-unload a car full of magazines, chocolate, media packages...
-set up LG lounge/bar

-rip plastic off the floor from when the booths were being painted
-set up the curtains on the run way (it was so difficult! Just the little details that people may not even consider)
-then after all the grunt work was over, my shift was done but then a group of volunteers were dressing the mannequins with sheer white fabric. FUN! So I dedicated extra time and stayed longer (2 hours) to participate. It was great just drapping fabric over the mannequins but my ego was totally shot down once the creative director took a high favour of one of the volunteers. I want to shine too. :( It was alright, I helped out.
-9 hours later, I head home for a well deserved dinner from last nights left overs, KFC.
Man, I'm living a glamorous life. Free labour and KFC.

the end.

I'll have to share it another time, meeting a real life "Miranda Presely" and my encounter.

not pretty.

good night.

No comments: